Bonitafest is here to celebrate its 50th anniversary in Chula Vista this week!
On Friday, September 16, the Bonitafest will take place with fun activities for you and your family to enjoy in our local community of Chula Vista.
This is a weekend event that starts this Friday, with the Twilight Trail Parade, Equestrians, and walkers and bicyclists who are scheduled to appear with glow sticks at the Sunnyside Saddle Club Arena in Chula Vista's Rohr Park at 5 p.m.
And an hour later, the parade will go underway at 6 p.m. and will route through the chula Vista Municipal Golf Course trail. Any participants in this parade will be greeted in the Bonita-Sunnyside Library parking lot, where there will be a street party, music performances, food snacks and prizes.
Friday's schedule goes as the following:
- 5 p.m. — Participants gather at the Sunnyside Saddle Club Arena in Rohr Park.
- 5:45 p.m. — Introduction of Supervisor Vargas by Max Branscomb. Introduction of VIPs by Supervisor Vargas.
- 5:55 p.m. –Organize parade participants into groups
- 6 p.m. — Launch carts first, followed by bikes, equestrians and walkers
- 6:20ish — Upon arrival at Museum, elementary school and middle school kids perform
- 6:45 p.m. — Presentation of trophies by Miss Bonita and Miss Chula Vista
- Music, end by 8p.m.
And as for Saturday, the event will restart as early as 9 a.m. at Sweetwater's Community Church. A car parade will form around 9 a.m. and will take off at 10 a.m. as it makes its way through a 13.1-mile route into the Sweetwater Valley. The route will be led by Bonita-Sunnyside Fire department and San Diego Sheriff's Department. And later at noon, the Performing Arts Festival and Street Fair will run from noon to 4 p.m. at the Sweetwater Community Church where there will be music and vendors.
Saturday – Car Parade/Street Fair/Performing Arts Festival, Saturday, Sept. 17
- All three events hosted at Sweetwater Community Church, 5305 Sweetwater Road
- Set up stage and sound system before 8 a.m.
- 9 a.m. — Cars assemble
- 9:45 a.m. — Introductions by Max and Supervisor Vargas. Awards announced, distributed
- 10 a.m. — Car parade begins, led by Bonita-Sunnyside Fire Department and escorted by San Diego County Sheriffs
- 10:30 a.m. — Vendors enter parking lot to set up
- Noon — Street begins. Miss Bonita and Miss Chula Vista welcome vendors.
- Noon — Performing Arts Festival starts
- Noon – 1p.m. — "Elementary Hour"
- 1 p.m. – 1:25ish — Introduction of VIPs/major sponsors by Youth Ambassadors
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. — Secondary school and youth performing artists
- 4 p.m. — Conclusion of Performing Arts Festival and Street Fair
The Bonitafest is the the longest-running community event in the South County of San Diego. The objective is to embrace and celebrate the richness and diverse culture of the Southbay.
The event is free for all community members.