Fernando Tatis Jr.’s repaired wrist is still struggling to get back to one hundred percent, according to Padres general manager A.J. Preller.
The general manager confirmed the concerning news earlier today, giving a heads up to Padres fans who have been waiting to see the magnificent baseball player get back to his very best with full health.
This comes after the Dominican superstar had a follow-up examination on his left wrist with Dr. Donald Sheridan, who is the doctor that operated on his wrist earlier this year in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Preller says that the latest examinations provide concerning results that show the recovering wrist still has ways to go before returning to ultimate form.
The club general manager says that the MRI concludes that he “continues to show healing,” but not enough for the doctor to “give a full green light,” Preller stated on Tuesday. “The full go, start swinging the bat, playing in rehab games, that’s going to be more of a week-to-week decision here going forward,” he added.
As concerning as this news may be, the general manager wants to make sure one thing is very clear. This recovering process comes down to the long-term journey involving Fernando Tatis Jr. and the San Diego Padres organization.
The club's front office understands the desire of baseball fans wanting to see Tatis Jr. returning to the plate, but as it is for any athlete, the more a recovery process is rushed, the more it jeopardizes the future of that particular athlete. And of course, as a club that wants to secure Tatis Jr. for over the next decade, the Padres want to be cautious with the progress being made in his return.
“We’ve said this from the beginning, this is all about the long term and a long relationship with Fernando and his career,” Preller said. “We’re going to be very cautious. … I think we’ll continue to get good news and continue to progress as we go into the next couple of weeks. He’s made a lot of progress.“He understands that this is about what’s best for him long-term,” the GM added.