Due to the selected target and ideological evidence found at the scene, authorities confirmed that the armed attack that occurred on Monday, May 18, at the Islamic Center of San Diego is being investigated as a hate crime.

The tragedy left three men dead and triggered a large police operation that, according to officials, helped prevent an even greater loss of life inside the religious facility, which also houses a school.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl explained during press conferences that the case began with a call from a mother concerned about her 17-year-old son, later identified as Cain Clark, who had disappeared along with a family vehicle and several firearms.
The woman also alerted authorities that the last time she saw Clark, he and an accomplice were wearing camouflage-style clothing. Officials confirmed that the second suspect was 18 years old.

The initial investigation led officers to two locations: Madison High School, where Clark had previous ties as a former wrestling team member, and a shopping center in Mission Valley, where a license plate reader detected the vehicle in question.
While officers continued tracking the suspects, a report of an active shooter was received at the Islamic Center of San Diego, located a few blocks from the search area.
Responding officers arrived immediately and found three people dead outside the facility, including security guard Amin Abdullah. The other victims were identified by the Muslim community as Abul-ʿIzz (Mansoor Kuzziha), who had dedicated nearly four decades to serving the Islamic Center, and Nader Awad, a neighbor who came to assist during the attack because his wife is a teacher at the Islamic school.

“We lost three hearts that beat for our community,” said a member of the congregation. “Amin always had a big smile. Abu Elez was known for his generosity. Nader ran to help and lost his life in the process.”
“It was extremely chaotic,” said Chief Wahl. “Officers had to go room by room while people were hiding inside.”
Later, officers located a vehicle with two bodies inside a few blocks from the mosque. According to Scott Wahl, the bodies were the two suspects: Cain Clark, age 17, and an 18-year-old accomplice, who are believed to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The FBI, through special agent in charge Mark Remily, stated that the case is being investigated as a hate crime unless proven otherwise.
Wahl confirmed that “hate rhetoric” and extremist ideological expressions were found in the suspects’ vehicle, though he declined to detail their contents. He also noted that no specific threat against the Islamic Center had been identified, but general language of hate was present.

