The Otay Ranch Town Center is offering a number of free classes and promotions to encourage active lifestyles in light of American Heart Health Month.
A variety of classes and programs will be offered between Feb.12 through Feb.19 to help “love your heart”, many of the fitness tenants at Otay Ranch Town Center. All classes and programs will be held between 8 a.m. through 9 p.m., and follow all current regional and state public health mandates.
Options include a free dance class at Deseo Dance Studios, a Full-body circuit at OrangeTheory Fitness, a free day pass to Planet Fitness, San Diego Gymnastics sessions, Yoga, TRX, and more at Namaste Fitness, and free one-week membership at Title Boxing.
The month of February is American Heart Health month and people are encouraged to focus on their cardiovascular health. During the COVID-19 pandemic, cardiovascular health remains a top public health priority, according to Million Hearts, a national initiative to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes within five years.
There have been more deaths from cardiovascular disease during the pandemic and people who have serious heart conditions are also at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19. According to the initiative, about 1.5 million heart attacks and strokes happen every year in the United States.
According to the initiative, many people with risks for heart disease and strokes, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol, do not know that they have these conditions or how to effectively control them to prevent a heart attack or stroke.
The American Heart Association recommends the following to prevent Heart Disease and Stroke:
- Know your risk
- Certain factors can increase your risks, such as smoking, kidney disease, or a family history of early heart disease. Knowing your risk factors can help you and your health care team decide on the best treatment plan for you.
- Eat a healthy diet
- Center your eating plan around vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, plant-based proteins, lean animal proteins, and fish. Make smart choices like limiting refined carbohydrates, processed meats, and sweetened drinks.
- Be physically active
- Adults should get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity each week.
- Watch your weight
- Stay at a healthy weight for you. You can check your body mass index (BMI), and talk to your health care team about a weight loss plan if needed.
- Live tobacco-free
- If you don’t smoke, vape, or use tobacco products, don’t ever start. There’s no such thing as a safe tobacco product. If quitting smoking or tobacco is a challenge, ask a health professional for help to kick the habit.
- Take your medicine
- If you have a health condition, your doctor may prescribe statins or other medications to help control cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure. Take all medications as directed. Avoid taking aspirin as a preventive measure unless instructed by a doctor.
For more information about Otay Ranch Town Center, current hours of operations, and updates on retailer status, call (619) 656-9100 or visit www.otayranchtowncenter.com.