Long-awaited whimsical pop culture chocolate bars return to San Diego Comic-Con for the first time since 2019, and for the fifth time ever, the San Diego Convention Center announced.
Chef Sufi Karaien and Pastry Chef Matthew Haven created 4,000 handcrafted bars, with 1,000 in each flavor to be sold from July 21-24, paying homage to “the larger than life characters that make up the event”, convention center officials said. The craft chocolate bars are $7 each, and golden tickets will be hidden inside four bars that are redeemable for a $100 Starbucks gift card.
“You won’t find these flavors anywhere else. It’s these personal touches that keep people excited about coming to in-person events like this one,” Karaien said.
According to the convention center, the culinary team operates like a real-life chocolate factory, producing 100 candy bars every 90 minutes. Three years ago, the Convention Center’s food and beverage team created more than 4,000 chocolate bars over four days.
Meet the 2022 flavors:
- The Misunderstood Villain:
- A zesty product of dark chocolate, local orange, Tajin, and smoked paprika.
- The Recess bar
- A rainbow blend of passion fruit, crispy mango, white chocolate, and Froot Loops.
- Sunrise S’mores
- Made with dark chocolate, Golden Grahams, and Lucky Charms marshmallows.
- Pixie Garden
- A handcrafted bar with floral notes and a smooth texture, featuring white chocolate, hibiscus flower, and elderflower ganache.