In light of Child Support Awareness Month, the county will hold a Super Saturday event to give away hundreds of backpacks filled with school supplies as children begin the new academic year.
The event will take place on August 13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Department of Child Support Services Central office at 3666 Kearney Villa Rd. According to a county statement, the goal is to ease the financial cost associated with returning to school and to boost a child’s confidence and self-esteem to let them enter the school year successfully.
“Child Support Services recognizes local families may still be experiencing the financial impact of not only the pandemic, but also the rising costs associated with basic living expenses,” the county wrote in a statement.
In addition to free supplies, the county is offering free services on child support, legal help, job search, and resources for families. Several county and community partners will attend, including:
- Family Law Facilitator
- Center for Employment Opportunities
- Community Through Hope
- County of San Diego Department of Animal Services
- County of San Diego Department of Human Resources (DHR)
- County of San Diego Office of Emergency Services (OES)
- Early Head Start/ Neighborhood House Association
- Kitchens for Good Employment Services
- Live Well on Wheels (Live WoW) Mobile Health and Community Services (HHSA)
- Public Defender
- San Diego Workforce Partnership
- YMCA Childcare
Details on programs, including High School Diploma support, Parents Invest in Education, and Youth with Dreams will be available at this event.
For more information on the Super Saturday event, click here.